ADSM-L

Re: 3466 End-of-Life

2002-12-17 11:02:27
Subject: Re: 3466 End-of-Life
From: Adolph Kahan <akahan AT ICA DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:59:18 -0500
This has nothing to do with the end of life of the 3466. IBM always has
this type of program going; the purpose is to get more customers to buy
a new product. This is just a way for IBM to increase their revenue.
This past year they have had incentives for customers to migrate from
the 3590 B and E drives to 3590 H drives, but this does not mean that
IBM will drop support for the 3590 B & E drives in the near future.

So far, IBM has only announced end of service for the 3466-b02 and
3466-B03. End of service will be June 30, 2003. They have not published
end of service dates for the other models and they still market the
3466-C01.

Do not confuse a marketing program to get a new product into the market
place with the end of service announcement. Once they do announce end of
service they will typically give at least a 1 year warning.

I work for an IBM BP, we see these removal/replacement programs all the
time, and they have not been tied to end of service announcements in the
past.

Adolph