ADSM-L

Re: 3466 End-of-Life

2002-12-16 22:07:15
Subject: Re: 3466 End-of-Life
From: "Talafous, John G." <Talafous AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:04:58 -0500
Thanks for your feedback, Mark.  There WAS an announcement?  Please, point
me to it because I missed it!

<rant on>
And 'rather short-noticed' announcements have a tendency to blow budgets out
of the water. Know what I mean?

IBM is replacing the 3466 with another device?  I haven't heard anything of
that sort. Again, I would have to look carefully at any such device after
having 3466 support yanked before a reasonable support period expires.

I'm doing my best not to jump to conclusions. I am working with both our IBM
account rep and our IBM business partner. Been doing so since July of this
year to improve our TSM implementation. My patience is running thin.

Are you suggesting that IBM is withdrawing 3466 support because some
business alliance has withdrawn some device? What device? You mention
'drives'. Does this point to the manufacturer of the SSA drives?

You mention that you have information from your inside sales force that
'something is coming'. That's nice, but my budget for 2003 has already been
submitted.  And, this reminds me of a musical from 1961 (I know, I am dating
myself...)

"Could be! Who knows? There's something due any day; I will know right away,
Soon as it shows. "
http://www.westsidestory.com/site/level2/lyrics/something.html

<rant off>

Sorry folks. Now I gotta go work on a zArchitecture replacement from IBM.
(Oh my!)

John