ADSM-L

Setting up DIRMC seq pool on disk

2002-12-14 06:47:06
Subject: Setting up DIRMC seq pool on disk
From: Richard Foster <Richard.Foster AT HYDRO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:46:23 +0100
Hi

I'm looking at setting up the famous DIRMC trick, with a primary sequential
pool on disk. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it a requirement to have the recommended setup
  DIRPOOL primary DISK: NEXTPOOL->DIRFILE
  DIRFILE primary SEQUENTIAL on DISK
or can we have our DIRMC point straight to the
  DIRFILE primary SEQUENTIAL on DISK?

If it's not actually requred, are there nevertheless any benefits from
having 2 pools?

2) Our current setup is
  DIRPOOL primary DISK: NEXTPOOL->DIRFILE
  TAPEPOOL primary SEQUENTIAL on TAPE
Unfortunately we share the TAPEPOOL with real files, and some of the
directory information has been migrated into TAPEPOOL.

Can anyone think of a way of retrieving just the directories from the
TAPEPOOL into the DIRPOOL/DIRFILE pools when it's set up?

One hope that struck me is that if we do a MOVE DATA on volumes in TAPEPOOL
to other volumes in TAPEPOOL, will the DIRMC info be taken into account and
directories automagically moved back into DIRPOOL/DIRFILE pools, or am I
too optimistic?

Our server is TSM 4.2.2.7 on AIX 4.3.3, but if there are any applicable
features newly available in TSM v5 I'd be interested, as we're planning to
upgrade.

Richard Foster
Norsk Hydro