ADSM-L

Re: TSM client CPU utilization 100%

2002-12-13 12:12:24
Subject: Re: TSM client CPU utilization 100%
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:09:11 -0800
> I am experiencing the same problem and my settings for the
> nodes I checked are either client or yes. Can you go into a
> little more detail? How is this setting effecting CPU
> utilizations and is it needed or safe to set it to no.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark B.

Mark,
Compression is performed on the client side. During backups you will notice
CPU utilization peak because the client is doing much more work to get that
data compressed before it's sent to the server. I have watched while backups
are running and seen some low CPU usage and some high, depending on the
number of CPU's, CPU speed, and memory available. In this case 64MB of
memory is extremely low if you ask me. P II's running win2k, or any windows
OS, with 64MB are already slow. Depending on what else is going on on the
client during back the users are sure to notice a slowdown.

Setting to no will just dump across the network. Could be a bad thing if you
have a couple of hundred all set to no sending uncompressed data to the
server. At the same time if backups are running late at night when nothing
else is going on maybe no worries. I compress when I can, which is most of
the time. I have one 4 million + files server I'm trying to work and see how
compression on or off affects the length/success of the backup. So far
Journaling hasn't been much good. But that's another subject.

I have tried to split my backups to run at different times based on
processes that are running on the client side. Those that are busy at
specific times are scheduled earlier or later depending. I don't have
clients that are desktop, only servers, but still see complaints from
process owners if the backups are running during processing runs.

If I've misstated anything I'm sure someone will straighten me out.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC