ADSM-L

Management Class and TDP for R/3

2002-12-13 08:24:37
Subject: Management Class and TDP for R/3
From: Raghu S <raghu AT COSMOS.DCMDS.CO DOT IN>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:55:16 +0530
Hi ,

Greetings,

You are controlling SAP R/3 database versioning through TSM, not TDP R/3
( ???? )

I take online backup on weekdays ( Mon - Satday ) & offline backup on
Sunday. Online backup and offline backup data goes onto separate
storagepools. I take offsite copy from offline backup storage pool.

How MAX_VERSION parameter of TDP R/3 works here? ( if i want to control
versioning through TDP R/3 ).
Does it see online and offline combinely or separately? If it treats online
and offline combinely , to maintain three versions of offline backup i
shoud use MAX_VERSIONS=21 which is going to eat 21 * 500 GB = 10.5 TB on my
tapepools (????..it sounds tooooooo much ...????). I should go back to TSM
version control.

However, tivoli recommends using TDP R/3 version controlling. Whats the big
reason behind it??

Plz through some light on TSM version control and MAX_VERSION parameter of
TDP R/3.

Regards
Raghu.

                    "Kauffman,
                    Tom"                 To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <KauffmanT@NI        cc:
                    BCO.COM>             Subject:     Re: Management Class and
TDP for
                    Sent by:             R/3
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    12/12/2002
                    02:29 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Brian --

TDP/R3 does not use backup classes, it uses archive classes.

I currently have four SAP systems running, and have 7 management classes
defined.

First and foremost -- off-line redo log copies. I have two management
classes (PRDLOG1 and PRDLOG2) so I can have two seperate storage pool
chains, disk and tape. There's no point in doing two sets of logs if they
can end up on a common media somewhere. These two classes are used for all
SAP instance redo logs and have a 21-day retention (redo log retention
should match off-line backup retention).

PRDLOG1 ties to storage pool PRDLOG1 (disk) with next pool of PRDLOG1-LT
(lto tape). PRDLOG1-LT gets copied daily to PRDLOG1-LT-COPY for off-site
movement.

PRDLOG1 ties to storage pool PRDLOG2 (disk) with next pool of PRDLOG2-LT
(lto tape). PRDLOG2-LT gets copied daily to ARCH-LT-COPY for off-site
movement. (ARCH-LT-COPY also gets a copy of ARCH-LT which is the lto pool
for all non-SAP oracle archives).

Then my SAP data archive. The production instance uses management class
PRDSAP-ONLINE (online backups, 8 day retention) or PRDSAP-OFFLINE (21 day
retention -- run once per week). Both tie to tape storage pool PRDSAP-LT,
which copies daily to PRDSAP-LT-COPY for off-site rotation.

I do not run reclaims on any of the PRDSAP tape; I just let them die a
natural death after 8 or 21 days. I DO run reclaims on the redo log tapes
copies, and tend to have 4 to 6 lto tapes tied up in either class off-site.

My technical sandbox uses LOCALARCH as a management class. This ties to a
LOCALARCH disk pool with LOCAL-LT as next pool. 21 day retention, no
off-site copy (sandbox and test oracle databases, other archives of systems
that can be rebuilt from off-site copies of production environments).

My test/QA region uses TSTSAP as a mangement class, pointing to an LTO pool
TSTSAP-LT; 21 day retention, no off-site copy. We rebuild from the PRD
environment about every six weeks by cloning.

My DEV environment uses DEVSAP-LT as a management class, pointing to a disk
pool called ARCHIVEPOOL with next pool of ARCH-LT, 21 day retention (and
yes, it copies to ARCH-LT-COPY nightly).

In addition, I run weekly archives of the non-database SAP filesystems
(/sapmnt/SID, /oracle/SID, /usr/sap/trans, and a few local filesystems
using
the PRDLOG1 and PRDLOG2 management classes. These are done to speed up
point-in-time recovery at D/R by laying down the most recent Sunday from
the
archive and then restoring to 'now'.

SAP recommends you keep 3 generations of your off-line backup (archive); 21
days works if you do this weekly. If you run off-line monthly you'll want
90+ days and need to adjust redo log retention to match.

Is there anything else I can add to further confuse the issue? <GD&R>

The mish-mosh of pools I use has been set up to optimise D/R recovery and
the off-site storage pool backup process. They work for us; we've had a
number of successful D/R drills over the years.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

http://messenger.msn.nl/