ADSM-L

Re: 3590 under Linux

2002-12-13 07:27:14
Subject: Re: 3590 under Linux
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:26:41 -0500
>> I am currently busy testing a TSM server (5.1.5.4) under Linux (RH7.2). I
>> have a 3590-B11 attached to the machine. The only device that shows up in
>> /proc/scsi/scsi is:
>>
>> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
>>   Vendor: IBM      Model: 03590B11         Rev: A429
>>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>>
>> When I run IBMtapeconfig it creates the special device files /dev/IBMtape0
>> and /dev/IBMtape0n. Since I want to configure the 3590 as a library would
>> I not also need a device for the media changer? The docu says there will
>> be a device called /dev/IBMchangerX for libraries. However, no such device
>> shows up when the adapter scans the bus. I was setting the 3590 to random
>> mode as well as random 2-lun mode still, there is no changer device
>> visible. What can be done, did someone of you ever test this beast with
>> Linux??
>>
>> Thanks Lars
>
>Hi,
>
>forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3590 just a tape-drive? If you've
>placed it in some sort of library, that must either be a 3494 or a special
>made STK library, in either case, the library is not controlled via the
>drive, but via some other channel (ethernet, serial, scsi).

"3590" is the identifier for a type of tape technology, which encompasses a
variety of model having a variety of features.  The B11 model is a medium
changer, like on the old 3480s - sort of a tiny library hanging off the front of
the drive.

Lars, you didn't say what doc you are following.  The "IBM TotalStorage Tape
Device Drivers: Installation and User's Guide" manual would seem the definitive
one.  I see that it says on p.130:

   "IBMtapeconfig removes all the existing /dev/IBMtape and /dev/IBMchanger
    special files, and creates new ones based on the information in
    /proc/scsi/IBMtape and /proc/scsi/IBMchanger."

so I would first look to see that both of those /proc files are in place, and
that they seem to contain the right information.  Recheck things based upon that
manual to see if all is in place.  If IBMtapeconfig is a shell script, you can
invoke it with verbosity to record what it does.

  Richard Sims, BU