ADSM-L

Re: 3590 under Linux

2002-12-13 05:42:57
Subject: Re: 3590 under Linux
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:41:58 +0100
On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:49:45 +0100
Lars Bebensee <LBebensee AT HAITEC DOT DE> wrote:

> Hi guys and girls,
>
> I am currently busy testing a TSM server (5.1.5.4) under Linux (RH7.2). I
> have a 3590-B11 attached to the machine. The only device that shows up in
> /proc/scsi/scsi is:
>
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: IBM      Model: 03590B11         Rev: A429
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>
> When I run IBMtapeconfig it creates the special device files /dev/IBMtape0
> and /dev/IBMtape0n. Since I want to configure the 3590 as a library would
> I not also need a device for the media changer? The docu says there will
> be a device called /dev/IBMchangerX for libraries. However, no such device
> shows up when the adapter scans the bus. I was setting the 3590 to random
> mode as well as random 2-lun mode still, there is no changer device
> visible. What can be done, did someone of you ever test this beast with
> Linux??
>
> Thanks Lars

Hi,

forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3590 just a tape-drive? If you've
placed it in some sort of library, that must either be a 3494 or a special
made STK library, in either case, the library is not controlled via the
drive, but via some other channel (ethernet, serial, scsi).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams