ADSM-L

Re: delete filespace

2002-12-11 08:22:08
Subject: Re: delete filespace
From: Raghu S <raghu AT COSMOS.DCMDS.CO DOT IN>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:52:46 +0530
Hi

These are from Admin Guide. I hope Tony can understand it now.

DELETE FILESPACE (Delete Client Node Data from the Server)

Use this command to delete file spaces from the server. Files that belong
to the file space are deleted from primary and copy storage pools.

EXPIRE INVENTORY (Manually Start Inventory Expiration Processing)

Use this command to manually start inventory expiration processing. The
inventory expiration process removes client backup and archive file copies
from server storage based on policy specified in the backup and archive
copy groups of the management classes to which the files are bound.

Regards

Raghu.

                    "Robert L. Rippy"
                    <robert_rippy@KINDREDHEALT        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    HCARE.COM>                        cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor         Subject:     Re: delete
filespace
                    Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    12/11/2002 06:18 PM
                    Please respond to "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor Manager"

You are correct on how expiration works, but Michelle is talking about a
manual delete or deletion of filespaces. WHen you delete a filespace as
Michelle has done the data is removed immediately and expire inventory
isn't necessary. I don't think its a matter how long I have been doing TSM,
yet a matter that I understand TSM and how it works. But I have been doing
TSM for 3 years currently. Please, try this with a test node and see what
happens. Expiration is there for files that are expired by the client. The
client marks files as expired in the database, then when you run
expiration, it deletes the files that have been marked for expirarion from
the database. If you delete a filespace you are telling TSM that you know
you want them gone and they are deleted immediately.

How long have you been working with TSM?

Would anyone like to make a comment on this and help Tony Trinh understand
better how TSM functions?

Thanks,
Robert Rippy