ADSM-L

Re: Client locks up during backup

2002-12-06 16:07:15
Subject: Re: Client locks up during backup
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:04:37 -0500
I have only 2 Linux boxes and haven't seen this behavior, but when we see it
on Windows or AIX, it is often something in the filesystem, rather than
something in the TSM client.

I would try a grep or a find file that will ripple through the whole
filesystem that is NOT backing up, to see if you can read it OK with other
software.  Also check for hardware errors (whatever corresponds to errpt on
Linux, I don't know).

And I would try doing the backup with the GUI, to see how far you get.  If
it hangs up, start over and backup one subdirectory at a time, to see if you
can find where it's hanging up.

If it were a Windows box, I would do a diskscan, or something else that
checks for errors in the filesystem.  Etc.