ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Server Transaction Log Restores

2002-12-04 20:05:16
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Server Transaction Log Restores
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:03:34 -0500
Paul,

I don't think this would be possible.
It would require the application to understand
the object naming as well as other "internals"
on how it stores the data. Typically, in the case
of the Data Protection clients (or any API application really),
the application that backs up the data is really the only one that
can restore it AND make use of it.
Many times, that is because it must interact with
the application in order to make sense of the data.

The only thing I could see is if the Entegra tool "drove"
the TDP for SQL command-line interface... but then again
I don't think that is what you are looking for.

What would Entegra do with the stream of data anyway?
It is a proprietary stream of data only known by Microsoft SQL Server.
You should investigate what are the exact requirements
of the Entegra tool and how it is supposed to "hook" in to SQL Server.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.