ADSM-L

TSM and Hard Disk Raid Configuration

2002-12-03 09:56:30
Subject: TSM and Hard Disk Raid Configuration
From: Schoenleitner Thomas <thomas.schoenleitner AT SGKK.SOZVERS DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:40:46 +0100
Hi there!

our tsm server got out of disk space and I want to reinstall the complete
system,
but I don't know the best configuration of the raid system.
raid1, raid1E, raid5 ?
where to put the database volumes
logfile, system, disk storage group volumes...
a lot of questions...
is it really nescesarry to use copy database volumes
should tsm do the mirroring of the data base volumes or hardware raid?
perfomance - security?

now a short description of my system:
TSM Server 4.2.2.5
Windows 2000 SP3
IBM Netfinity 5500
Dual PIII 550Mhz
512MB RAM
IBM ServeRaid II
4MM Tape
IBM 3583-72 incl. 2 drives

Harddisks now in the system:
3 x 9GB SCSI (non raid)
1 x 80GB IDE
1st SCSI disk = system (w2k, tsm)
2nd = db volumes, dblog
3rd = db copy volumes, dblog copy
ide = disk storage group

Harddisks available for future:
3 x 9GB SCSI
5 x 36GB SCSI
(all SCSI disk hot-plugable, but there is only space for 6 disks in the system)
1 x 80GB IDE

i thought 3x9gb + 3x36gb raid5 is ok, but I am not sure, because of the db copy
volumes...
or 2x9gb + 4x36gb raid1...

does anyone has any suggestions for my problem?

thanks
thomas

ps: what do you think about upgrading to TSM 5.1