ADSM-L

Re: Permanent retention

2002-12-02 12:23:27
Subject: Re: Permanent retention
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:16:37 +0200
-       Backupsets do not have the ability to have copies in TSM. Count
yourself how many times a tape (of the backupset) can become bad during
those 7 years.If you realize it on the 4-th or 6-th year ...?
-       Will you stay at current tape drive technology forever? What
should you do after 7 years - today's backupsets are let say on DLT,
during 2003-2004 you will use LTOv2 and later will be say on LTOv4?!? You
will have to keep *operative* and working for restores all technologies
used during last 7 years.
-       What do you mean as "huge"? Alex already did some math. The only
thing he did not added is: there are many people successfully driving 80,
100, even 180 GB TSM DB (with appropriate hardware of course). And it
works every day!
-       Backupset lives alone on a cartridge and nothing else can use it.
If your backupset is for example 30 GB and you still use DLT 7000 wasted
space will be "only" 14%. If DLT8000 is used it will grow to 25%, for 100
GB LTO and 110 GB SDLT - 70% and 73% respectively. This will mean unused
*expensive* cartridges. For 7 years, 2 cartridges (minimum) per day, ...
do the math yourself.
(TSM rulez! sorry, cannot resist to ask bean counters how it will cost
using *any* other product :-)

I can only add that if *each* copy is so important to force you to make
them twice a day, you have to be careful.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
02.12.2002 18:18