ADSM-L

Réf. : Upgrade ADSM 3.1 to TSM 4.2

2002-12-02 02:50:57
Subject: Réf. : Upgrade ADSM 3.1 to TSM 4.2
From: Eric LANGUILLE <eric.languille AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:46:45 +0100
Thanks a lot for your informations, but there is still en question about
this upgrade.

On my site, i have 2 servers, one in 3.1 , the other in 4.2. The question
is : how do i do to migrate all my clients ADSM on the server 4.2. The two
servers  are operationnals.

If i migrate à client to TSM4.2, how do i do to restaure or retreive data
which have been saved in ADSM 3.1?

Sincerlys

"Dennis Glover" <dglover1 AT bellsouth DOT net> le 29/11/2002 16:46:51

Pour :    Eric Languille/production/A-S@ELISA
cc :

Objet :   Upgrade ADSM 3.1 to TSM 4.2

Sir,

I have performed the upgrade path you ask about in two
environments, and there was no problem in either case.
Your documentation will describe an "upgrade installation",
including such important matters as ensuring you have
copies of the volume usage and primary storage pool
definitions files.  I would very strongly suggest that you
download the latest "patch" or "maintenance" release
of the TSM server and client software before you begin!

With some servers and clients you will find that the fully-
qualified path name to the server and/or client software
will have changed.  Please note that and make any
required changes in your dsm.opt and/or dsm.sys
files.  Also, when you upgrade your environment, please
ensure the TSM server(s) are the first systems you do.
That is because the 4.2 server will back up all previous
releases of the client, including ADSM 3.1, but an ADSM
3.1 server is not guaranteed to back up a TSM 4.2 client.

If you are using certain tape libraries/drives, such as the
IBM 3494 library with the IBM 3590 drives, please ensure
you have the latest microcode installed to those devices.
Otherwise, your backups will almost certainly fail as soon
as the new server software is installed.

If I understand your question properly, I think you are asking
if there are any special steps, such as "export" and "import"
of backup data as part of the migration.  That is not at all a
necessary step!  Simply upgrade your server, and then
upgrade your clients, and the process is complete.

Good luck!

Dennis Glover