ADSM-L

Re: ResourceUtilization in TSM 5.x client - have you tried it, has it improved performance, do you have concerns/problems using it ?

2002-11-26 08:52:49
Subject: Re: ResourceUtilization in TSM 5.x client - have you tried it, has it improved performance, do you have concerns/problems using it ?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 06:49:35 -0700
For backup and archive, RESOURCEUTILIZATION does not map to the number of
drives that will be used. Rather, it provides a guideline for the number
of resources the client should use. Based on the real-time performance
characteristics and the value of RESOURCEUTILIZATION, the client will
increase or decrease the number of resources it uses. The purpose of this
setting is to not simply dictate the number of sessions to use, but to put
a little intelligence behind the number of sessions that will be used.

In particular, the resources are the number of producer sessions (sessions
that figure out what to back up) and the number of consumer sessions
(sessions that actually back up or archive the data). The higher the
RESOURCEUTILIZATION value, the more producer/consumer sessions the client
*may* use. If the system is starved for other resources, or the number of
files to process does not warrant it, then a larger number of sessions may
not be used, even with a large RESOURCEUTILIZATION value.

With a RESOURCEUTILIZATION value of 10, the client will use up to four
producer sessions and four consumer sessions. The idle sessions you saw
were the producer sessions (probably scanning the client file system for
work to do) and the sessions with tapes were the consumer sessions. With
RESOURCEUTILIZATION set to 9, you will get up to three producer sessions
and four consumer sessions. A value of 10 will give you up to four
producer sessions and four consumer sessions.

If you need tighter control over the number of sessions that will be used
(i.e. you *must* have four sessions sending data) , then try dividing the
file systems as evenly as possible into four groups, and creating a script
to launch four separate instances of the client, each instance backing up
a particular set of file systems.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Kent Monthei <Kent.J.Monthei AT GSK DOT COM>
11/25/2002 17:29