ADSM-L

Re: tape become full in 21 percent.

2002-11-25 12:59:41
Subject: Re: tape become full in 21 percent.
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:55:21 +0100
On 25-Nov-02 Zlatko Krastev wrote:
> --> Only if you expire your backupdata after one day
>
> Yes, but this was intended to be an example to illustrate, not a real-life
> case.

  But the question was "tape become full in 21 percent", which I guess is
  real-life and I guess nobody uses an expire from one day.

> If is fixed value (be it 100 or not) it will give us no information at all
> and should not be displayed. Pct. utilized is the ratio of "current /
> (current+expired)". It is updated whenever data is written to the volume
> or after expiration. Data write changes "current" component while
> expiration reduces "current" and increases "expired".

  Yes yes yes, but I thought the question was "writing a tape, tape becomes
  full, and Util is still < 30%". I mean, I familiar with writing a bunch
  of tapes every full, from scratch until full, and then Util is 100%.

  Well, anyway, it's Monday....
  Cheers,

  Henk ten Have.