ADSM-L

Re: Migration from AIX to Solaris

2002-11-22 10:41:53
Subject: Re: Migration from AIX to Solaris
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:41:10 -0500
The big obstacle here is no, you can't move a TSM DB across platforms.

You can EXPORT the definitions, like policies, mgmt classes, schedules,
admins, etc. and reimport them to the new server; you can EXPORT and IMPORT
the client data as well, but this is really rebuilding the DB on the new
server as the IMPORTS occur; and it's obviously time-consuming.

There are two ways to approach the move:  some people just start backups on
the new server, leave the old one around for a while until the data ages
enough to be useless, then shut it down.   Other people try to do the
EXPORT/IMPORT thing.  Your decision will depend on your circumstances, how
much time you have, and how much backup & archive data.

To do the EXPORT/IMPORT, you either have to have compatible media, or use
server-to-server virtual volumes to transmit the data from one TSM server to
the other.   (This requires a DRM license, I think for the target server.)

As far as using the same library, the answer is "probably".    I don't know
if you can share the 3583 with TSM library sharing, if so that would be
ideal as it would let you use the drives as needed.  The other alternative
is to physically share the library and dedicate some drives to the new
server and some to the old server until you get all the data moved.  Don't
know enough about the 3583 to get further than that.

That's hardly a complete answer, but maybe it will get you on the road to
the next set of questions....

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert