ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Tape Drives

2002-11-21 07:10:23
Subject: Re: 3590 Tape Drives
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 04:05:24 -0800
Make sure IBM has removed the cleaner blocks from the drives.
If tapes are being eaten, I'd say it is probably poorly adjusted pressures
in the drive somewhere or something isn't in proper alignment BUT I'm NOT an
IBM technician so I really shouldn't say...
In 7 years across 7 ATL's with 7 year old tapes (for the most part) we are
still going strong !
In all we've only lost somewhere between 10-15 tapes to total destruction
(so 1-2 a year out of some 15,000)

Dwight