ADSM-L

Re: Mac OSX TSM client v5.1.5.1

2002-11-18 08:54:55
Subject: Re: Mac OSX TSM client v5.1.5.1
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:32:00 +0100

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Has anyone run this new client thru it's paces?  Is anyone using it,
supporting it, in production?   We are under a time crunch to get this
one
out, and I'm getting the impression that not many have even put this
into
production yet.  If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate your
feedback on where you are with testing/deploying, and what sort
of problems you may have run into.

There have been several threads about the Mac client lately. Here is the
jist of the conclusions:

1. It works, except that:
--It will not back up files whose names exceed 32 characters.

This has changes in 5.1.5.1, filenames longer that 32 chars are no
longer a problem.

--The TSM scheduler will not work unless the console is logged on at
root-level access.

Still true, afaik.

Before you complain, keep in mind that 98% of the machines that TSM is
bought to back up are servers, and Mac servers make up a minuscule
percentage of the servers normally found. (In twelve years of dealing
with
ADSM/TSM/ITSM, I can count the number of Mac servers I've seen in server
room on one hand.) Tivoli builds and maintains TSM to cover the most
common
servers and server OSs; that's where the money is.

Which is completely irrelevant, IMNSHO. We've had that discussion
before, so I won't
start it again.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP keys at http://home.sara.nl/~remco/keys.asc

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams