ADSM-L

Seeking 3.7.5 -> 5.1 upgrade advice..

2002-11-12 11:51:33
Subject: Seeking 3.7.5 -> 5.1 upgrade advice..
From: "John N. Stacey Jr" <john.stacey AT EURORSCG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:26:54 -0500
Hello,

   I would really appreciate some advice on how to proceed with an
upgrade we are planning.

Currently, we are running TSM version 3.7.5 on an Ultra 10/Solaris 7

Our plans are to upgrade to 5.1.x on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 2/Solaris 8.

I am currently trying to figure out if it would be easier to upgrade the
current 3.7.5 server to 5.1 which will automatically convert everything
to 5.1 and then move the newly converted database and other needed files
to the new server which would have 5.1 already installed and running on
it.

Or, would it be easier to restore the 3.7.5 database from tape to the
newly configured 5.1 server and run an UPGRADEDB command to bring the
database up to the current level?

If the second path is the best, does the database have to have the same
physical path on the disk as the first server?

And are the registered nodes, users, volumes and automated commands
stored in a file which can be easily transferred to the new machine?

Thank you for any help you can give.

                                                -john

John N. Stacey Jr. * Information Technology

Euro RSCG MVBMS Partners

* 350 Hudson St. * New York, NY 10014

Ph. 212.886.4369 * Email: john.stacey AT eurorscg DOT com