ADSM-L

Re: Space reclamation of offsite copy pool takes forever

2002-11-12 10:57:19
Subject: Re: Space reclamation of offsite copy pool takes forever
From: Allen Barth <allen.barth AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:50:26 -0600
Are you running with colocation enabled anywhere?  For best reclaim
performance, I have found that having colocation enabled=yes on both
onsite and offsite pools works the best.  Why?  Reduction of tape mounts.
Cost?  Need more tapes, especially in offsite pool.

Per pool:

Keep in mind that onsite reclamation is 1 process PER tape:  find a tape
needing reclaim->mount tape->relocate data->dismount.

Offsite reclamation is 1 process for ALL tapes:  find all tapes needing
reclaim->select tape x(these appear to be done in age order)->figure out
where all local copies of data are stored->until x is finished(mount
onsite tape->relocate data->dismount onsite->next local tape)->next tape x
(offiste tape)

So it's concievable and likely that one onsite tape could be mounted
several times because some of it's files are on multiple offsite tapes.

Al

"Brazner, Bob" <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
11/11/02 05:44 PM