ADSM-L

Re: Space reclamation of offsite copy pool takes forever

2002-11-12 01:52:40
Subject: Re: Space reclamation of offsite copy pool takes forever
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:50:45 +1000
Bob,

IMHO, you are working too hard.
66% reclaim level will reclaim 3 tapes to get 2 scratches, so must write 1 full
tape's worth of data.
80% will reclaim 5 tapes to get 4 scratches, so must write 1 full tape...
90% will reclaim 10 tapes to get 9 scratches, so must write 1 full tape ...

So, number1 recommendation from me would be to buy some more tapes and increase
your reclaim level.

Now the reclaim process will process lots of individual tapes to build that 1
output tape,as you have noted.  Thus run it as infrequently as possible to get
the maximum value from each pass.
I'd suggest kicking it off over the weekend and just letting it go till Monday
morning - depending on your load of course.  Cancel it then if it hasn't
finished.
After all, the easiest way to reclaim data is to just let it expire.

Regards
Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia.

>>> Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM 12/11/2002 9:44:27 >>>
Reclamation of our offsite copy pool is taking forever.  Right now, we have
200+ volumes in that pool.  Normally, threshold is set at 60% and I get
maybe 8 or 9 volumes returned after processing for 7 hours (on beefy AIX,
with TSM at 5.1.5).  Lately I've tried setting the threshold at 99, then
98, then 97, etc., but I don't see much improvement in overall freeing up
of tapes.  It appears that most of the time is taken up with mounting input
volumes.  Even though we have a 3494, I'd say 80% of the time is spent
waiting for tape mounts.  Is there any way to get space reclamation to free
up offsite tapes faster?  Note, for my onsite tape pool, I do not see this
problem (e.g., I can easily free up 30 tapes in 5 hours or less).

Bob Brazner
Johnson Controls, Inc.
(414) 524-2570

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.