ADSM-L

Re: delete volhist doesn't return volume to scratch

2002-11-12 01:36:20
Subject: Re: delete volhist doesn't return volume to scratch
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:33:26 -0600
I hope to clear this up since a bunch of folks seem to be unclear on
this.

The most common way of running an ITSM server's tape pool is to check
them all in as SCRATCH, and then when a new tape is needed for any
reason, it is taken from the list of scratch tapes. So, a tape can be in
one of four states:

1. SCRATCH (A volume can go from here to either 2 or 4)

2. In a Tape Storage Pool containing backed-up data. (A volume goes from
here to State 3 if REUSEDELAY is 1 or longer, or from here back to
SCRATCH if REUSEDELAY=0.)

3. PENDING, that is it was in state 2, and it got reclaimed or deleted,
and the REUSEDELAY period has not yet expired. (A volume from here goes
back to State 1.) You can manually use DELETE VOL to short circuit the
REUSEDELAY and return PENDING tapes to SCRATCH status immediately, which
you might want to do if you are running out of scratch tapes.

4. Listed in the Volume History File, because they have been used for
Database Backups for instance. Tapes listed in the Volume History File
are not in a Storage Pool per se, although they could be considered to
be in their own different kind of storage pool. When you run the DELETE
VOLHIST command, or when the DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS interval expires,
tapes that are no longer listed in the Volume History File go directly
to state 1 - SCRATCH. This occurs immediately - the REUSEDELAY is not an
applicable concept here.

5. (I know, I said four) PRIVATE. I use PRIVATE status for tapes that
are of suspicious media quality and are waiting for me to get off my
lazy rear end and check them out of the library and ship them off to the
recertifier. The only way a tape is in PRIVATE status and is not also in
State 2, 3, or 4, is if I put it there manually. I have an SQL query
that checks this daily and sends me the result in email. The signature
for tapes in this status is that the LASTUSE is blank.

There seems to be some confusion as to what happens to tapes in state 4.
The doc is very clear about DELETE VOLHIST:

"When you delete records for volumes that are not in storage pools (for
example, database backup or export volumes), the volumes return to
scratch status even if TSM acquired them as private volumes."

Therefore this statement is incorrect:

>private.  They return to their original state.

There is one exception here - if you use Disaster Recovery Manager,
which adds a whole new layer of complication. If you are using DRM, you
hopefully understand how it impacts this process.

This whole area is glitchy - so much so that it has its own error
message numbers. (This happened to me several times in the last couple
days, and I had to look them up.) The messages manual says that one
thing that can clear out tapes stuck in limbo like this is a simple
server restart. Or, if the tape was PENDING when it got stuck, DELETE
VOL will work to clear it back to SCRATCH status.

"Have you ever, like, tried to put together a bicycle in public? Or a
grill?" Astronauts David Wolf and Piers Sellers, explaining the
difficulties encountered in attaching equipment to the Space Station