ADSM-L

Re: Diskpool volume mirroring

2002-11-10 08:14:43
Subject: Re: Diskpool volume mirroring
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:50:06 +0200
--> I still don't see the reason to mirror the diskpool volumes

It depends on the SLA for the data. Few examples:
- a database with weekly backup and daily/hourly log backup. Loss of
single log file causes hole in log chain and your vulnerability window
became one week long.
- a product using TSM for main storage like IBM Content Manager. When data
enters TSM there is no other copy to recover from.

This kind of discussion pops up two-three times a year. We always agree
the general rule is no need to protect the diskpool but there are some
special occasions which require the opposite. But later we say only the
first part without pointing the rule is not absolute.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
07.11.2002 06:26