ADSM-L

Re: ADSMConnect Agent for Domino 4.6

2002-11-07 21:48:36
Subject: Re: ADSMConnect Agent for Domino 4.6
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:36:40 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Large, Matthew
> I do not have the ability to browse the downloadable software (if it's
> currently available) and was hoping perhaps someone with a little time on
> their hands could find out if the old ConnectAgent for Domino R4 is
> available for download.
>
> It may not be supported anymore, but there are no plans to upgrade to R5
> here. If this is still available, is anyone familiar with this TDP and are
> there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Even if it were still supported, I wouldn't use the Connect Agent for Notes
4.x if I were threatened with an eternity of _The Osbournes_ reruns. That
app wa awful awful awful.

It wasn't really Tivoli's fault. The APIs supplied to backup app vendors by
Lotus were so badly written that Tivoli got rid of it as soon as it could.
My favorite bug was the one where the agent would start backing up the Notes
databases in alphabetical order, and would regularly fail after it had
finished with one letter, but before it would start the next letter (and it
was never the same letter two sessions running).

You'd be *way* better off using an open file manager like St. Bernard's Open
File Manager, and backing up the Notes stuff that way.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE