ADSM-L

Re: Fun with a bulk door on a tape library

2002-11-07 11:11:48
Subject: Re: Fun with a bulk door on a tape library
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:51:02 -0500
I use a pair of perl scripts for checkout/checkin.

The checkin script issues a "checkin libv stat=pri search=bulk
checklabel=barcode". It then tails the log (I have the console log
redirected to a file and TSM dumping messages to /dev/console as a normal
setup) and replies to the 'reply xxx when ready'. As each volume is checked
in it grabs the volser from the ANR8430I message and does an "update vol
<volser> acce=readw" -- and if the tape was empty, TSM scratches it at that
point. When the script detects the ANR8431I message it exits.

The checkout script works from my naming conventions. First it gets the
volser of the most recent database backup and then it builds a list of tapes
to come out -- stgpool name of *copy (anything ending in 'copy') status of
filling or full, access of readwrite or readonly. The first ten items (I/O
panel limit) are checked out with "checkout libv <libname> <volser>
checklabel=no remove=bulk" and "upd vol <volser> acce=of". If there were 10
or fewer tapes to come out, the script terminates; if more, it hangs waiting
a 'return' press from the user and runs the next set. The first tape out is
always the database backup.

And the checkout script is a LOT older than the checkin; some day I intend
to set it up to tail the log and provide better feedback as it runs.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc