ADSM-L

Re: Safe to backup DB while client backups running?

2002-11-06 17:52:30
Subject: Re: Safe to backup DB while client backups running?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:41:52 +0200
Can we think again from idea/design/code reuse point of view. Most of us
know how the client is performing backup - first it creates list of files
to backup and then starts transferring them. So lets think in same manner
about (I)TSM DB - it first creates list of DB pages to be backed up and
the last completed transaction in the log. Later all those pages are sent
somewhere and log is cleared up to that last transaction.

Now back to filesystem backup - we can ask ourselves what to do if were
unable to find a window without file activity. Answer is
backup-whatever-enters-in-this-session and the rest (modified during
current backup session) will be backed up in the next scan. Again making a
parallel to TSM DB - all *transactions* completed before DB backup is
started will be noted and backed up. All transactions in progress and
everything happening during/after DB backup will be in the log (of course
if roll-forward is enabled) and will be backed up next time.

On the end - if you are not satisfied with level of protection regular
(daily) file backups provide you should go to some high-availability
solution. This might be two disk subsystems in separate sites with each
write synchronously performed to both (ESS with PPRC or XRC for example).
Same analogy - if you need to protect *each* backup (completed
transaction) in TSM you should have some (very) high-available hardware
for DB and Log.
But this would be a solution at Disaster Recovery Tier 5 or Tier 6. Not
every company/organisation needs it (and is ready to pay its price).

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
06.11.2002 17:40