ADSM-L

Re: Dell PV136T and general Media Management

2002-11-06 13:54:55
Subject: Re: Dell PV136T and general Media Management
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:53:49 -0500
Instead of doing multiple backups of 0-byte files, what we do is assign them
to a management class that doesn't retain anything. We've created a ZERO
managment class as:
         Versions Data Exists: 1
        Versions Data Deleted: 0
        Retain Extra Versions: 0
          Retain Only Version: 0

Then we perform a 2-part process:

Step1: Using an INCLUDE on the client(s) assign the files to the ZERO
management class. This will rebind all files to ZERO.

Step2: After the next EXPIRE INVENTORY process (now there will only be the
active copy of the file(s) left..) we change the INCLUDE to an EXCLUDE. The
client will then inactivate the files and the next EXPIRE INVENTORY will
remove the only remaing copy. (VERDELETED=0).

Takes a couple days/cycles, but at the end all the backed up copies are
gone.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.