ADSM-L

Re: Fun with a bulk door on a tape library

2002-11-06 10:05:37
Subject: Re: Fun with a bulk door on a tape library
From: Joe Pendergast <jpendergast AT WATSONPHARM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:03:51 -0800
Congratulations, I know somewhat where you are.  Life changed greatly when we
added the 12slot door to our 3583 nine months ago.
My checkin script (written in kornshell for AIX) does some different thing than
you have listed.

For the most part when I changed my script to "search=bulk", I was not prepared
for the system "request"ing me to load the bulk i/o door.  With some kornshell
magic, I was able to query the requests and issue a "reply" that would allow the
checkin process to complete without my help.

My script does the following functions: (with the help of DRM)

1)  unmount any idle tapes that have not timed out.
2)  "label" any new tapes that have not been previously used.  Previously used
tapes would result in a warning message.
3) checkin all tapes attempting to scratch them.  Any copy pool tapes that are
not in onsite retrieve status will result in a warning message
4) checkin all remaining tapes in the bulk loader with status private
(search=yes)
5) checkin all tapes that exist in the library to the status of private.
(search-yes)  This is just in case some tape was placed manually or somehow
checked out erroneously)
6) This step is tricky, so I will list the select.  The step selects any tape in
the library that is in a courierretreive or vaultretrieve status and stores them
in a variable.
"SELECT LIBVOLUMES.VOLUME_NAME FROM DRMEDIA DRMEDIA, LIBVOLUMES LIBVOLUMES \
WHERE DRMEDIA.VOLUME_NAME = LIBVOLUMES.VOLUME_NAME AND \
((DRMEDIA.STATE='COURIERRETRIEVE') OR (DRMEDIA.STATE='VAULTRETRIEVE'))"
7) Issue move drmedia to the selected volumes changing them to onsiteretrieve.
This will scratch them since they are checked in.
8) Next I select any tape that is in the library as private with "last.use"
empty.  These are usually old backupsets or db backups
9) issue an update volume to the tapes from the previous step changing them to
scratch status.

This process takes care of 99% of the tapes I place in the library.  I review
the library daily to confirm that all volumes are in the correct status.
Occasionally, someone will insert a tape before it expires, so I just check them
back out manually.

The checkout process is much easier.  I just added "remove=bulk" and the process
works great.

PS.  If you require the AIX checkout script, place $10 with your request in an
email to me at jpenderg AT watsonpharm DOT com (just kidding about the $10).
Please
send your request personally (not in a reply), because I am sure everyone does
not want to see messages saying "send it to me too"

"Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM> on 11/05/2002 05:12:24 PM