ADSM-L

Re: Client Scheduler stopping/ TSM 5.1.5.1

2002-11-06 04:57:35
Subject: Re: Client Scheduler stopping/ TSM 5.1.5.1
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:53:54 +0100
my feeling is that Resource Timeout will not change the situation.it should
help in giving insight in the lock status.
I am seeing this elsewhere but we have not yet found out the culprit. at
least in EMEA.
one workaround with the NT scheduler is to use AT commands to stop/start it
remotely if you can do that. some people on the forum will smile now
because it will remind them of things alredy seen... ;-)

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

"The people of Krikkit,are, well, you know, they're just a bunch of real
sweet guys, you know, who just happen to want to kill everybody. Hell, I
feel the same way some mornings..."

             "Gill, Geoffrey
             L."
             <GEOFFREY.L.GIL                                            To
             L AT SAIC DOT COM>            ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                                  bcc
             <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
             ST.EDU>                                               Subject
                                    Client Scheduler stopping/ TSM 5.1.5.1

             06/11/2002
             00.23

             Please respond
             to "ADSM: Dist
              Stor Manager"

A short update to everyone watching the TSM 5.1.5.1 posts. I've been asked
twice to change Resource Timeout value, which is now 100. Most of the
missed
backups I was having are gone but support still wants me to monitor for the
lock I was seeing and then run a bunch of commands to gather info if I can.
Unfortunately backups are so late I've just had it. It's not that I don't
want to help, it's just so late I'm tired.

As for the missed backups I am seeing now, I can tell it's because the
schedule service is stopped. Since I don't have access to these computers I
can't start it, don't know if it stopped on its own, or if someone
purposefully stopped it. Are there any issues related to the Scheduler
service stopping with certain levels of TSM client on WIN2K or NT?

I'm also seeing a failed report on what looks like a completed backup. The
data is there, the session tries to connect to the server and none are
available and an entry in the client log as failed. ANS1512E Scheduled
event
BLAH-BLAH failed. Return code=12. After the 15 minute window it retries and
sends the data to the server because this time it got a connection and it
returns the next scheduled backup.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154