ADSM-L

Fun with a bulk door on a tape library

2002-11-05 20:15:37
Subject: Fun with a bulk door on a tape library
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:12:24 -0600
Whoopee!  Just got an upgrade to my tape library (IBM 3583).  Put in some
more slots, tape drives and a bulk loader door.  The door now has 12 slots
in it, up from 1.

I have tried some things, but I know there are come command shortcuts for
using the bulk loader door efficiently.
What I need to do is to be able to:

1. Checking copypool and old database backup tapes back into the library.

2. Checkout copypool and database backup tapes to be sent offsite.

Currently I use
   checkin libv <library> <volume> stat=scr
      or checkin libv <library> <volume> stat=pri
   checkout libv <library> <volume>

And I assume that all I need to do is put
   checkin libv <library> stat=scr search=bulk
      or checkin libv <library> <volume> stat=pri search=bulk
   checkout libv <library> <volume> rec=bulk

The one for checking in with stat=pri seems wrong somehow.
Hints or suggestions on 'proper' use of a bulk door?

Other than just getting the syntax down and working my objective is to:
1. In the morning, have my database backup tape and all copypool tapes in
   my library to be put into the bulk door.
2. Load the bulk door with the incoming database backup tape and returning
   copypool tapes (ready for reuse), and have everything update and put away
   properly.

My environment is WinNT 4.0 with TSM 4.1.3 in the process of moving to
(upgrading)
Win2K Server with TSM 4.2 (can't go further because I still have Novell
4.1.1 clients).

TIA ... Jack