ADSM-L

Re: Slow backups

2002-11-04 03:29:33
Subject: Re: Slow backups
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:28:17 +0100
if you're not sure where the problem lies, as a first thing run a PERFORM
trace on the client to see where things are getting bottled up. if you
don't know how to interpret the result (or how to run a trace), look in
TSM's class materials. if you haven't followed a TSM administration class,
contact IBM support and go through the tracing procedure with them.they
will explain to you what to do, what numbers you are seeing, and what they
relate to.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

"The people of Krikkit,are, well, you know, they're just a bunch of real
sweet guys, you know, who just happen to want to kill everybody. Hell, I
feel the same way some mornings..."

             Adolph Kahan
             <akahan AT ICA DOT NET
             Sent by: "ADSM:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
bcc
             ST.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                    Re: Slow backups
             03/11/2002
             19.53

             Please respond
             to "ADSM: Dist
              Stor Manager"

Jacque, to eliminate the network as a bottleneck try ftp'ing a file
between the TSM server and the client. If the FTP is also slow, then you
have a network problem and not a TSM problem.