ADSM-L

Re: Daylight saving Disaster

2002-11-04 00:59:11
Subject: Re: Daylight saving Disaster
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 21:44:20 -0800
Yep... just see the README;  the usual conditions for upgrade on either the
server or the client is (a) once you upgrade the client, you *can* use the
new client features (ie, the ones specific to client operations), and you
*cannot* go back (this is a more recent caveat, in that new levels add new
objects to the database); (b) upgrade the server, at your convenience, just
realize you cannot exploit new server features (even if supported by the
client), until the proper, supporting server level is installed.

Muddy as heck?  Read the README for the server or the client; the README
file contains the full details you need to know... but, in general, using
the same features you've already been using does not require both server and
client be at the same level.  A 3.1 client can talk to a 4.1 server, and
(also) a 4.2 or even 5.1 client can talk to 4.1 server (just cannot use any
new, 4.2 features that would require cooperation from the server).  The
developers have gone to great lengths to ensure client and server upgrades
are not locked into each other... review the README for your specific
situation.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)