ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Performance

2002-11-04 00:58:48
Subject: Re: TSM and Performance
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 21:58:30 -0800
To really know if you need a second server, you need to know what your
current server is doing.  An M80 with 5GB of RAM and 2 drawers of SSA drives
should easily handle 1.5 to 2.5 TB/day;  the wide variance is a function of
the number of db-inserts that occur. Do you know your current backup load?

I am nervous about 5.1.5.1;  I will avoid it, for now -- especially since
seeing your earlier posts (and Gretchen's) about some issues.  Regardless of
my concern, you gotta measure your network, CPU and I/O performance on the
TSM serve box, along with the current backup traffic -- see summary table
and/or dsmaccnt.log for that number.

Fastest way for tracking TSM load would be "ServerGraph"; alternatively, you
gotta run your own statistics using VMSTAT, IOSTAT, dsmaccnt.log, and
summary table select's to quantify what you're currently doing.

Hope this helps!

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)