ADSM-L

Re: Journaling Again

2002-11-02 14:47:12
Subject: Re: Journaling Again
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:20:02 -0500
>> For arguments sake lets say it is, although I turned journaling on last
week
 >> so I would have thought it would have done its thing by now, unless I
was to
 >> forcefully do something I didn't.

The Last Backup Completion Date of the file space must be set on the
server, and the
backup must have been completed while the file system was actively being
journaled.

Note that some backup commands which have the effect of backing up the
entire file system
don't update this date on the server.

For instance, dsmc incr c:\ -subdir=yes and dsmc incr c:\*.* -subdir=yes
will not update
the completion date, but dsmc incr c: will.

Issuing the command dsmc query filespace will display this date (it will be
all zero's
if it isn't set).

As long as the full backup completed while the file system was being
journaled
and the next backup should be journal based provide that the back up is
being done to the same
server.

Another possibility is that the file system is generating more change
activity than the specified notify buffer
can handle.

If this is the case the buffer overflows and the journal will be
invalidated (if this is the case you should see
messages in jbberror.log and/or the nt application eventlog).

If this is happening you may want to increase the size of the notify buffer
via the NotifyBufferSize setting.

Please continue to post questions or email me directly if you continue to
have problems.

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
10/31/2002
01:50:00 PM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>