ADSM-L

Re: www.tivoli.com gone???

2002-10-31 14:24:54
Subject: Re: www.tivoli.com gone???
From: "Jason A. Specland" <jas2005 AT MED.CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:03:31 -0500
The "magic powers" you speak of is the fact that IBM is probably a slave
DNS server for tivoli.com, and has a local copy of their ns records.

The primary DNS server, uugate.tivoli.com, is not currently pingable.

The secondary DNS server, auth02.ns.uu.net, which is supposed to be
authoritative for tivoli.com, isn't.  It's pointing people back at
a.root-servers.net and company.

This is a lovely illustration of why you should make sure that the
nameserver you designate as your secondary, really IS your secondary.

--
Jason A. Specland
Unix Administrator