ADSM-L

Re: resource utilization

2002-10-31 12:46:51
Subject: Re: resource utilization
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:43:13 -0700
Joseph,

I am not aware of any "IBM position" per se. RESOURCEUTILIZATION is simply
another "tuning knob" that was added to the product. Like any other
setting, the decision of when and how to use it is up to you.

Should you add it to your dsm.opt file? It depends. If your backups are
running fine the way they are, then I see no reason to add it ("if it
ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good rule of thumb). On the other hand, if
your backups are taking longer than necessary, then it is an option to
help improve throughput. The advantages are that it offers a "divide and
conquer" approach to processing your file systems since it will start
multiple, concurrent backup sessions to process different parts of your
file systems. But there is no "free lunch". Some of the costs associated
with multiple backup sessions include: more CPU and disk I/O on the client
machine, heavier use of network bandwidth, heavier TSM server utilization,
and so on.

I'm sure that others will have more to add on this subject.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

"Wholey, Joseph (TGA\\MLOL)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
10/31/2002 06:45