ADSM-L

Re: Multiple sessions per tape

2002-10-31 10:44:53
Subject: Re: Multiple sessions per tape
From: Gianluca Perilli <Gianluca_Perilli AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:01:49 +0100
Using  a disk pool in between has some advantages: first of all if you want
to backup clients directly to tape you can run a number of sessions that
cannot be bigger  than the number of available tape drives; furthermore
using disks you have the possibility to exploit the disk throughput that is
bigger than the tape one.
The advantage is particurarly higher as much as the files are smaller,
while it decrease when backing up the bigger files (like DBs files for
example).

Cordiali saluti / Best regards

Gianluca Perilli

EMEA Support, GlobalResponseTeam Storage
e-mail: gianluca_perilli AT it.ibm DOT com

Tivoli Software, IBM Software Group

Via Sciangai 53, Rome 00144            Italy
Office : +39.06.59664581
Mobile: +39.335.7840985
Fax:      +39.06.59662077

                      "Conko, Steven"
                      <sconko AT ADT DOT COM>         To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Re: Multiple sessions
per tape
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      31-10-02 14.33
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

why does having the diskpool in between improve performance?