ADSM-L

Re: Automating RMAN Backup Through TSM

2002-10-30 12:24:56
Subject: Re: Automating RMAN Backup Through TSM
From: Jin Bae Chi <Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:20:30 -0500
Brian,
I had the same problem and folks from this group helped me on that.
Here is what I got from Neil. I followed what he said and it's working!
Hope this help.

Gus
-----------

I have here our preferred method for starting Rman with the TSM
Scheduler:

When using the TSM scheduler to automate the TDP Oracle backups, the
differences in how these two clients work must be taken into account.
 - The scheduler runs as root and would need passwordaccess generate.
 - The TDP Oracle backup runs as an Oracle user and need
passwordaccess
prompt.

Since the TDP client requires passwordaccess prompt, automating the
TSM
scheduler process on the client machine often encounters various
issues.
The following steps should assist with clarifying how to setup this
type
of configuration for a working environment.

To setup the TSM Scheduler for the TDP Oracle node, it is critical
that
the password for the node on the TSM Server be set so that the
password
will not expire.  Then setup the TDP Oracle to use PasswordAccess
prompt
and setup the TSM Scheduler (for the tdp oracle backup) to use
PasswordAccess generate.

To use only one dsm.sys file, ensure there is a symbolic link to this
single dsm.sys file so it can be seen from the API
directory (/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin)
and the TDP can find and use this dsm.sys.

In this one dsm.sys file, there will normally be more than one
ServerName
stanza when using the TDP Oracle on the same machine.  One ServerName
stanza for the filesystem backups and another ServerName stanza for
the
TDP Oracle backups (which need passwordaccess prompt).  To assist with
setting up the TSM Scheduler for the TDP Oracle node, you would need
create a third ServerName stanza in this dsm.sys file.

In general, the dsm.sys file would be similar to the following:
   servername   TSMbackup
   COMMMETHOD   tcpip
   TCPServeraddress    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
   TCPPORT    1500
   NODENAME   Client
   PASSWORDACCESS    generate

  servername   TSMOracle
   COMMMETHOD   tcpip
   TCPServeraddress     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
   TCPPORT    1500
   PASSWORDACCESS    prompt

   servername   TDPSched
   COMMMETHOD   tcpip
   TCPServeraddress    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
   TCPPORT    1500
   NODENAME   TDPNode
   PASSWORDACCESS    generate

You would have three dsm.opt files.  One for the Backup/Archive client
that
would normally be located in the /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin
directory.
Based on the dsm.sys example above,  this would contain the line:
  servername   TSMbackup

There would be a second dsm.opt file (which could have a different
filename, such as dsmoracle.opt) for the TDP for Oracle.  Based on the
dsm.sys example this user option file for the Oracle client would
contain
the line:
   servername TSMOracle
and would have passwordaccess prompt.

There would be a third dsm.opt file (which could have a different
filename, such as dsmsched.opt) for the TDP for Oracle scheduler.
Based
on the dsm.sys example this user option file for the Oracle client
would
contain the line:
   servername TDPSched
and would have passwordaccess generate and have the NodeName for the
TDP
Oracle
client specified.

Environment variables would need to be utilized with the Oracle backup
point to the user option file.  This would be specified in the
TDPO_OPTFILE
with the DSMI_ORC_CONFIG variable.  For example:
  DSMI_ORC_CONFIG  /opt/tivol/tsm/client/oracle/bin/dsmoracle.opt

When starting the TSM Scheduler for the TDP Oracle backups, you will
need
to use the -SErvername parameter and specify which stanza should be
used.
Based on the example dsm.sys the scheduler command would be such as:
   dsmc sched -SE=TDPSched

For the TDP backup, the script file for the command schedule backup
will
be
launched by the scheduler daemon.  Then within the command script
launch
the
RMAN backup script.

Regards,

Neil Rasmussen
Software Development
TDP for Oracle
rasmussn AT us.ibm DOT com

Jin Bae Chi (Gus)
System Admin/Tivoli
Data Center
614-287-5270
614-287-5488 Fax
jbaechi AT cscc DOT edu

>>> BrianDade AT WDFA DOT COM 10/30/02 11:13AM >>>
Hi All:

I'm currently running my TDP for Oracle backup manually from a UNIX
prompt.
I'd like to automate this through TSM.  I 'm confused.  Has anyone
automated this process?  If so, I'd like to hear some suggestions or
recommendations on setting it up.

OS:  AIX 4.3.3
TSM:  4.2.1.10
TDP:  2.2.1