ADSM-L

Re: TSM reliability (was: tape missing under q libv (HELP))

2002-10-30 10:50:54
Subject: Re: TSM reliability (was: tape missing under q libv (HELP))
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:48:19 -0600
Tab, I NEVER trust versions of ANY software that end in zero, from ANY
vendor. Software is like fine wine. When it is brand-new, it has to be
aged a bit to develop its full quality. I do not trust software that has
not accumulated a few patches. Windows 98SE was so much more stable than
the original Windows 98. I'm starting to trust XP now that Service Pack
1 is out. I could go on and on, so I will just say that reliable "dot
zero" releases are the exception rather than the rule, here in the real
world.

I once worked for a software vendor. It never failed that we were
informed of a major bug within 30 minutes of irrevokably shipping a new
version, no matter how much testing effort we had put into it. Now as a
software consumer, I think back on those days as I put the brand-new
version that just arrived on my top shelf to await the first patches.

ITSM is no better or worse than any other complex software in this
regard.

============ "In theory, theory and practice are the same, =============
========= but in practice, theory and practice are different." =========