ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MS SQL

2002-10-30 03:23:44
Subject: Re: TDP for MS SQL
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:22:45 +0100
Hi Joe,

Take a look at this nice Redbook
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg246148.pdf : much more
valuable than Tivoli's manual, and they explain it very well, how to
define your settings.
Here a snippet of it :

TDP for SQL stores all objects as backup objects on TSM in backup
storage
pools, so an Archive Copy Group is not required, although it can exist.
For
convenience, we created one to suppress warning messages, about a
missing Archive Copy Group for the management class, from the TSM server
in various situations (for example, when activating the policy).
Set the Version Control Copy Group parameters as desired to define the
version limit and retention periods for SQL database backup objects:
* VERSIONS DATA EXISTS
* VERSIONS DATA DELETED
* RETAIN EXTRA VERSIONS
* RETAIN ONLY VERSION
Here are our recommendations:
* Set VERSIONS DATA EXISTS and VERSIONS DATA DELETED to NO LIMIT.
* Set RETAIN EXTRA VERSIONS and RETAIN ONLY VERSION to the desired
amount
of days you want you want to be able to go back and restore from.
* Accept the default values for the backupcopy group parameters COPY
MODE,
COPY SERIALIZATION, COPY FREQUENCY because they are not applicable to
TDP for SQL.

Log and set expiration values

Because log and set objects are always uniquely named, they do not
participate in expirations due to version limit. However, TDP for SQL
Version
2 inactivates all backup objects for a SQL database not otherwise
inactivated,
whenever a new full database backup of that SQL database is performed.
Therefore, the retention period defined through the RETAIN ONLY VERSION
parameter controls the expiration of log and set backups.

Active, inactive, expired

The defined settings for the Backup Copy Group affect the backup objects
in
the following ways:
Versions Data Exists
Apply when you have 1 active object and 0 or more inactive version.
Versions Data Deleted
Apply when you have 0 active and 1 or more inactive version.
Retain Extra Versions
Apply to the inactive versions when you have more than 1 inactive
version.
Retain only version
Apply when you have 0 active and only 1 inactive version.
We decided to set the policy to:
Versions Data Exist: This is set to NO LIMIT
Versions Data Deleted Exist: This is set to NO LIMIT
Retain Extra Versions: This is set to 30 (days)
Retain Only Version: This is set to 30 (days)
This means:
The active version will be kept indefinitely, until it is inactivated.
Active
versions are automatically inactivated when a full database backup is
performed (creating a new active version).
There is no limit on how many inactive versions will be kept. Inactive
versions
(both Extra and Only versions) will expire in 30 days and be deleted.

Hope it helped !

Arnaud
| Arnaud Brion, Panalpina Management Ltd., IT Group     |
| Viaduktstrasse 42, P.O. Box, 4002 Basel - Switzerland |
| Phone: +41 61 226 19 78 / Fax: +41 61 226 17 01       |