ADSM-L

Help determining # of files for backupset.

2002-10-29 12:59:31
Subject: Help determining # of files for backupset.
From: Michael Moore <Michael_Moore AT VFC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:47:02 -0500
First off, I am running TSM v4.2.2.12 on OS/390 v2.10.  We backup
aproximately 150 nodes daily.

Problem:  We use backupsets for DR purposes!  Not my choice..  But since I
work in a "Services" enviornment, I don't have much choice.

Anyway,  we currently create backupsets for aproximately 24 NT nodes at
different times of the week, some are 2 times per week, others are only 1
time per week.  The problem is that at times, due to locks that occur, the
server can appear to "hang up" for period of 20 minutes or more.

To help limit this problem, I try to arrange the generate backup processes,
so that only 1 large was is done per day (500,000 objects or larger).  In
order for me to best arrange them, I run a select command to see how many
files each node has:

select node_name as "Node", -
       sum(num_files) as "Number of Files", -
       sum(physical_mb) as "Physical Size (MB)" -
         from occupancy -
           where (node_name = 'ITGC2AARTHUR1' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AARTHUR2' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AARTHUR3' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AARTHUR4' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2ACSSAP' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2APRODTRAN' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2ARFSM' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AS1' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2A01' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AWEBPDM1' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AWEBPDM2' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2BDC' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2APWAPP1' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2AMQSI' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITGC2APWORACLE' or  -
                  node_name = 'ITXF2ATESTDIR1')and -
                 (stgpool_name = 'BACKUP_TAPE_LOCAL' or -
                  stgpool_name = 'DEV_TAPE' or -
                  stgpool_name = 'BACKUP_TAPE_REMOTE') -
            group by node_name > 'itnp.tsm.backup.sets.gaither'

I get the following report:

Node                   Number of Files                    Physical Size
(MB)
------------------     ---------------
---------------------------------
ITGC2AARTHUR1                   292908
19452.30
ITGC2AARTHUR2                    68814
1244.02
ITGC2AARTHUR3                    65409
8427.65
ITGC2AARTHUR4                   119935
5596.03
ITGC2ACSSAP                      67197
6334.58
ITGC2AMQSI                       38881
1566.20
ITGC2APRODTRAN                   65510
4255.41
ITGC2APWAPP1                    120954
12103.70
ITGC2APWORACLE                   51195
14195.47
ITGC2ARFSM                      104272
3886.81
ITGC2AS1                         25466
1057.40
ITGC2AWEBPDM1                   114771
12846.37
ITGC2AWEBPDM2                    23726
1502.93
ITGC2A01                        242472
11977.89
ITGC2BDC                        107016
18545.14
ITXF2ATESTDIR1                 1781020
20934.72

The only problem with it, seems that it is not entirely accurate.  For
example, the backupset for ITGC2BDC, completed with the following
information:

ANR3505I Backup set for ITGC2BDC as DR.220248777 used volume 347199.
ANR0987I Process 153 for GENERATE BACKUPSET running in the BACKGROUND
processed 89000 items with a completion state of SUCCESS at 12:19:30.

According to this, it only processed 89000 items, but the number of files I
show in my report is 107016.  I assume that the backupset only contains
"active" files, and the script accounts for "active" and "inactive".  Is
there another table that I can get more accurate information from?

Thanks for your help!!

By the way, all of the help with scripts lately has been great!!  Thanks
everyone that contributed!!!

Michael Moore
VF Services Inc.