ADSM-L

Re: continue a restartable session

2002-10-29 12:09:12
Subject: Re: continue a restartable session
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:51:49 -0600
When a restartable restore is currently running, it displays the session
number "-1"... only possible when NQR is invoked.

Once that number becomes positive (you have stopped the active restore),
then you can (from dsmc on the client) run "restart restore" (see the using
clients book).  If you continue to restart from the beginning, you will
incur the total restore time all over again -- and, with NQR, you can even
see the data coming down from the server (by watching the network activity).

OTOH, I indicated (in a previous post) how you could trigger classic restore
(rather than NQR), which would still incur think-time, but the server would
do the "thinking" as it determines the list of files eligible to send, then
sorts the tape mounts, and starts sending the data... my experience in
restoring 20 GB filesystem, depends on # of dir-objects, should complete in
less than 4 hours -- although that could be more (ROT is between 2 and 7 GB
per hour for extremely large number of files).

Regards,
Don

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)