ADSM-L

Re: UNLOADDB Operational Questions

2002-10-29 11:26:45
Subject: Re: UNLOADDB Operational Questions
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:16:21 +0100
John,
I cannot relieve your pains a lot. you are right basically. I can only say
that, as a rule of thumb, we generally consider the audit db to go through
1GB per hour. but this is really a rule of thumb and I suppose lots of
people will jump to my neck for giving this figure. it really depends. the
only thing I'd like to stress is that audit db should not be used as a
housekeeping tool. it is meant to be performed only when IBM asks for it. I
say this because I remember various posts proposing this non correct usage.
to reorg the db, you only have the unload/load procedure. and that too,
should not be approached lightly. do it with IBM support if possible. I
know this sounds patronizing but you would not believe the number of
problems that could have been avoided if support had been involved in such
operations from the start.
that said, I understand your frustration. we are not unaware of the
problem.
ciao.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

"The people of Krikkit,are, well, you know, they're just a bunch of real
sweet guys, you know, who just happen to want to kill everybody. Hell, I
feel the same way some mornings..."

             John Bremer
             <[email protected]
             Sent by: "ADSM:         ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
bcc
             ST.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                     Re: UNLOADDB Operational Questions
             29/10/2002
             16:43

             Please respond
             to "ADSM: Dist
              Stor Manager"

I*SMers,

Well, I didn't see many responses to Paul's question about unload - reload
database reorganization, and most disconcerting, nothing from the gurus in
Tucson.

I looked back in the archives, and there are a lot of exchanges regarding
this issue, but my conclusion is, no one really knows how long this will
take for large databases (>100GB).  Evidently a database audit is not
necessary if no errors are encountered, and the unload - reload really does
improve performance and reduce database size.

Given this, why doesn't IBM Tivoli / ADSM provide us with better ways to
reorg our databases?  In our situation, we can't possibly risk a reorg,
considering the downtime could run into days or weeks.

One response I saw in the archives told us that a 46GB database was reduced
to 26GB and select statements "that would never finish before" now run in
seconds to minutes.  However, the time involved was 16 hours unload, 7
hours reload, and if an audit had been necessary, another 92 hours
there.  Why such a heavy price for something that would help us all?

This is a sad state of affairs (my opinion).

John Bremer