ADSM-L

Re: SCSI-2 tape drives

2002-10-29 07:24:39
Subject: Re: SCSI-2 tape drives
From: Hamish Marson <hamish AT TRAVELLINGKIWI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:19:42 +0000
Zlatko Krastev/ACIT wrote:

All SCSI devices conforming to the standards are backward-compatible. Thus
you can use Ultra160 HDD with SCSI-2 F/W controller or connect a SCSI-2
device to Ultra2 controller, etc. The transfer speed in the lowest
supported by both controller and device.

Small caveat there.... Don't try to connect single-ended to
differential, nor LVD to anythign except LVD... You'll let the magic
blue smoke out otherwise (Or at best blow the fuse. Hopefully a thermo
that resets itself, although I've still seen dead cards & devices from
this as well).

I am running different combinations and had no serious problems. The main
problem with components of different generations are cables and/or
(connector) convertors.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
27.10.2002 19:06