ADSM-L

Saving desktop settings

2002-10-25 16:11:10
Subject: Saving desktop settings
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:14:51 -0400
We currently expect desktop Windows PC users to store documents on file
servers, and back up the file servers but not the desktop systems with
TSM. While this arrangement protects files created by PC users, a lot
of registry keys and configuration files containing preferences and
settings will still be lost if a desktop PC hard disk fails. We are
looking into the possibility of backing up this kind of information.

One of the possible approaches is installing TSM client software on each
desktop PC. We currently run a 4.2 server under OS/390. We will probably
upgrade the server to 5.1 by the time we are ready to deploy any
mechanism for saving desktop PC settings. We pay for the TSM server,
including client licenses, on a monthly charge basis. Does anyone
know what the monthly license charge for desktop PC clients is under
TSM 5.1?

If we go through with the proposal to save desktop settings, we will
need to find out where each of a sizable number of software products
stores user settings. Are there any compilations of this kind of
information available?