ADSM-L

Re: Linux as TSM Server; ATA DiskArrays; SSA-diskpool copypool speeds (3totally unrelated questions

2002-10-24 20:16:22
Subject: Re: Linux as TSM Server; ATA DiskArrays; SSA-diskpool copypool speeds (3totally unrelated questions
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:14:56 +1000
Hi Steve,

>>> Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM 25/10/2002 5:32:42 >>>
>I have 3 questions I have been pondering for a few weeks and would like
>?input on:
>
>1. Running TSM Server under Linux on Intel
>Has anyone started running TSM Server under Linux yet, and if so, would
>you be willing to provide feedback?
>Our current environment is TSM 4.2 running on a NetStore (3466-C00) with
>4cpu, 2gb-ram and ssa disk for db/logs and all diskpools.  NSM is being
>discontinued and we have no AIX admin (HP-UX shop starting to add
>Linux).  Suport $ for the rs/6000 is also increasing dramatically.  I
>would like to consider using a beefy Intel box (Compaq/Dell/IBM) or even
>a cluster of less beffy machines if the bottom line looks good and it
>works.  We could use W2K but I'm not quite ready to take the plunge into
>the "dark side".

If you are an HPUX shop I'm curious as to why you wouldn't choose to run TSM on
HPUX?

>2. Using ATA Disk Array for nearline storage
>With STK and others coming out with lower cost disk arrays based on ata
>disk, has anyone considered using one as nearline?  We have about 20TB
>on tape, and if I could keep all our backup on a disk array and only use
>tape for DRM I could cut down on a lot of tape processing/cost and avoid
>buying more drives.  Thoughts?

I don't know about 20TB, but I have less than 2 TB of backup data (mostly
client-side  compressed) and I've been looking at a 2.8TB disk array to hold
this.  That equates to 70 3590E carts, and when you factor in the cost of
library slots, disk is only twice as expensive as tape.  I can't see any
technical reason not to use new disk technology in this way.  I also saw a news
item about Quantum bringing out a disk array that looks to the server like a
tape library, so we're not the only ones thinking of doing this.  However I
work for governement and the whole idea is a bit outside the square for
management here.  It might happen in a couple of years if I really push hard....

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.