ADSM-L

Overwriting Tapes outside of TSM

2002-10-24 10:43:41
Subject: Overwriting Tapes outside of TSM
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:39:30 -0700
I'm wondering if anyone who has a 3494 library, or one similar in function,
can help with this. I've been asked if there is a way for me to overwrite a
tape with a random pattern, or even a specific pattern, from beginning to
end 3 times. This wouldn't use any functions of TSM in itself. I could
probably do something similar in TSM but would have to fill a tape
completely and move and delete data from a tape.

If anyone has run in to this situation and can do it, or knows of a software
package that will, I would like to hear from you. The library is automated
so any script would have to mount a specific tape to a drive outside of TSM.

My environment:
TSM Server AIX 4.3.3
TSM Version 5.1.5.1
3494 Library with 3590E drives.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154