ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Vaulting with Locked Canisters

2002-10-23 12:12:00
Subject: Re: Offsite Vaulting with Locked Canisters
From: Joshua Bassi <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:10:38 -0700
I will be trying to make the locked canister based approach work using
the move data commands.  I will record which volumes are in which
containers and after a set period of time, I will move all data left on
these tapes onto tapes in the next canister.

I see value in a locked canister approached.  Pros include:

1) Canister vaulting is cheaper than slot-based vaulting
2) A canister can be easily and readily brought back onsite in its
entirety
3) Data security is greater using a locked canister approach

If it's doable and my customer wants it, then I have no problem figuring
out how to make it work in their environment.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
IBM Certified - AIX 4/5L, SAN, Shark

AIX, HACMP, Storage, TSM Consultant