ADSM-L

Re: Transaction Log Restores

2002-10-23 09:57:43
Subject: Re: Transaction Log Restores
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:53:03 -0400
> With this specific restore...around 200 logs were applied before it
> required the logs I had on disk...so as soon as I started the log
> restore....I then copied the logs into the specified restore folder.  By
> the time the restore needed the logs that were on disk, everything had
> already been copied across.   I noticed also when these logs were being
> applied that they didn't show up on the GUI, I guess this is because they
> weren't archived   As I said before they get removed from the restore
> folder once they are applied.  Once it has finsihed with these logs it
> continues applying the logs from tape.
>
> I haven't tried copying the log files across only once they are being
> called for, I'm not sure this would work as the process doesn't wait for
> that long before deciding the logs aren't available so there isn't a lot
> of time to copy them across.

Marc, Richard,

It is good that you had enough time to copy those logs in
after you started the ACTIVATE but before the Domino server
(recovery manager) needed them, and thus, the Domino server
saw them in the log directory and used them.  And so, the
Domino Server did not need to call the TDP for Domino
code to restore them. It would have been nice to be able
to copy those logs into the directory before the
ACTIVATE... but for some reason the Domino Server
does not like that.

It seems that this was an isolated case of manual
intervention causing turmoil. You may want to increase
the frequency of the log backups or add some additional
disk space to your log device so that a log full
condition does not happen on the Domino server.

TDP for Domino "log restore" (during activation with applylogs)
simply responds to the requests from the Domino server
if the Domino Server recovery manager needs a log that
is not present on the local log disk. That is, it is a
"callback" mechanism initiated by the Domino Server
recovery manager.

By the way, TDP for Domino, by default, has PREFETCH turned on...
... which means that it will always try to stay one log ahead of
what the Domino Server is asking for. It does this on a different
thread so that it can maximize performance during activation.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.