ADSM-L

Question about full Restores

2002-10-23 05:01:39
Subject: Question about full Restores
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:58:44 +0100
Hi All Again

I am a little confused about how restores are handled. Here is my
confusion.

We run TSM 4.2.2.12 on a Solaris 2.7 machine.

So, we have a Solaris client backed up in its entirety (OS, data etc). If
we lose the machine we must firstly rebuild the OS. Then, when we come to
restore from the incremental backups it will find lots of files that
already exist.

Question 1) Does it say a file exists based purely on file name or does it
only say it if a file with the same name, modification date, size etc
exists?

Question 2) If it is based just on the name of the file, I assume that we
would want to restore over the top of it so that we know we are bringing
the machine up to it's most recent state. But, will the system not crash if
system files are being overwritten? There may be more questions that I need
to ask here, but my knowledge is limited.

If anyone can give me some pointers about these questions, I would be most
greatful.

Many thanks

Farren Minns - TSM and Solaris System Admin - John Wiley & Sons Ltd

Our Chichester based offices have amalgamated and relocated to a new
address

John Wiley & Sons Ltd
The Atrium
Southern Gate
Chichester
West Sussex
PO19 8SQ

Main phone and fax numbers remain the same:
Phone +44 (0)1243 779777
Fax   +44 (0)1243 775878
Direct dial numbers are unchanged

Address, phone and fax nos. for all other Wiley UK locations are unchanged